via the Town of Reading – We are notifying Reading residents today that West Nile Virus has been detected in a sample in Reading, along with samples in Boston, Tyringham, Otis, Wakefield, and Middleton.
Residents are advised to take the following precautions:
1. Be prepared: Know your risk -Follow the Town of Reading’s Health Department webpage, repair screens, clean up to get rid of mosquito breeding sites, and be aware of stagnant water on private property (e.g. unused swimming pools).
2. Wear long sleeves and long pants from dusk to dawn when weather permits
3. Use mosquito netting on baby carriages and playpens
4. Wear mosquito repellent when outdoors, especially between dusk and dawn. Specifically use repellents with an EPA-registered active ingredient and observing peak mosquito activity at dusk and dawn.
5. Dump standing water twice weekly
The Massachusetts Department of Public Health will continue to do enhanced surveillance activities in the region.
For more information: