The Select Board will be meeting tonight in the Select Board meeting room at Town Hall at 7pm. The first item of business, other than public comment, will be a vote to re-organize the board. Typically this happens in the first meeting after the election but with Reading’s first recount since 2004, the board decided last meeting to have it postponed until tonight’s meeting instead.
Also on the agenda will be the continued discussion on the FY24 Water & Sewer Rates. With Reading pursuing a “tiered” water rate change, the following is the overview presented in the packet on page (55) to the Select Board tonight:
- Today we have a single rate system, based on water usage.
- Proposal is to go to a tiered system that would encourage conservation. Higher usage would be billed at a higher rate.
- Several questions asked at our last meeting.
- Select Board recommended a public forum, tentatively scheduled for Wednesday May 31st at 6 PM.
- Recommending that the Select Board Chair schedule the Public Hearing and Vote for June 6 to allow more time for outreach.
Lastly, there is a discussion on issuing an RFP for Feasibility Study for New Senior Center as 17 Harnden Street, the former Walgreens, fell through last month. The complete agenda is outlined below.
- 7:00 Overview of Meeting
- 7:05 Public Comment
- 7:10 Select Board Vote to Reorganize
- 7:15 SB Liaison & Town Manager Reports
- 7:30 Discuss Local option to increase the Cost of Living Adjustment (“COLA”) for Fiscal Year 2023 to up to 5 percent on the base amount specified pursuant to G.L. c. 32, § 103, for retirees.
- 8:00 Vote on Letter of Support for MassWorks Grant
- 8:30 Vote to Accept Land Gift at 0 Sanborn Lane, following acceptance by Conservation Commission
- 8:45 Discuss and Vote on Select Board Assignments to VASC
- 8:55 Vote on VASC Recommendations to volunteer appointments to CPDC
- 9:00 Discuss Select Board Liaison Assignments
- 9:15 Discuss FY24 Water & Sewer Rates
- 9:30 Discuss Issuing RFP for Feasibility Study for New Senior Center
- 9:45 Discuss Potential Changes to ReCalc Charge and Sunset Date
- 10:00 Discuss Clarification of SWEC Charge, as Requested by Committee
- 10:15 Discuss Scheduling Annual Meeting with the Reading Ice Arena Authority
- 10:30 Discuss Future Agendas 100
- 10:45 Approve Meeting Minutes 103
The meeting will take place in the Select Board meeting room at Town Hall at 7pm. The public can attend in person or watch via several options: via a broadcast on RCTV’s YouTube channel at this link or on the RCTV Government Channel (Xfinity ch 22, Verizon ch 33). The Zoom link for this meeting is: https://us06web.zoom.us/j/89208368711